20 Mar Easy Japanese Beef Curry Stew Recipe
I have been doing a lot of home cooking nowadays as we work from home due to Covid19. Deb asked for Japanese Beef Curry after she saw a pack of half used sauce mix in the freezer.
What is Japanese Beef Curry Stew?
Japanese beef curry stew is the curry that you find in most Japanese eateries and restaurants. It is typically not spicy which is great for people who can’t take heat. Sweet and savoury, this curry is also easy to make as the sauce comes in a pack!
We use this brand of sauce mix. Vermont Curry Mild. We use mild as deb can’t take any spicy food, you can get other heat intensity but I have never tried them before. This curry mix can be had at most supermarkets in Singapore.
- 350g beef chuck
- 4-6 small potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 cup short grain rice
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Serves: 2-3 adults
Prep time: ~15min
Cook time: 2-3 hours
- Cut meat chuck into small cubes slightly larger than the size of a Singapore 50cent coin.
- Peel carrots and potato and cut them to chunks roughly the same size as the beef.
- Once done throw beef into a nonstick frying pan on medium to high heat. I didn’t use any oil. Let the meat sear to lock in the beefy flavour. Try not to touch it too much, you want to brown the exterior of the meat.
- When meat is brown, add 1 cube of beef stock and add about 3 cups of water. Make sure there is enough water to cover the meat. Make sure to dissolve the beef cube. Let it stew for 2 hours on Low heat while checking and stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, add the carrot and potato into a pot. Add oil and place the pot on medium high heat. Stir the pot for a few mins to prevent burning of the carrots and potato.
- Add the beef stew into the pot. Add in the 4 blocks of curry sauce cubes and dissolve them as well. Let it sit for Low heat for at least 30mins. If the curry is a bit too watery, you can leave the lid off but check frequently. Once it has reached the consistency you like, you can put the lid back on. If curry is too thick, add water.
- While curry is slow cooking, you can start on rice. Short grain rice needs to soak before cooking. Soak 1 cup of rice in water for 20mins. Once done, add 1.5 cups of water and put it in the rice cooker. Should take about 30mins.
- Once rice is done, scoop it into a bowl and place beef curry on top. This way you save on washing dishes. 😆
- Garnish with a bit or dried parsley if you have it and serve!
We use okome short grain rice. It’s okay. Remember to soak it for 20mins before cooking.
We use Knorr beef stock cubes. Remember to dissolve it while mixing in with water.
The whole meal sets us back to around $6/pax which is slightly expensive for a stay home meal but you do get beef 🐮 ! You can lower the cost to about $4/pax if you use chicken thigh which is just as nice. Just saw the beef stock cube to chicken stock.